The 2023 New Century Dance Project Festival
CALL FOR CHOREOGRAPHY
High School Student Category
Francisco Gella, founding artistic director of the New Century Dance Project (NCDP), invites high school student choreographers to submit their work to be considered as part of the 2023 Festival Concerts being held during the week of July 31 - August 6. The works selected for the festival will be presented at NDI New Mexico in Santa Fe.
Please be sure to follow all instructions carefully.
Eligibility and submission requirements must be strictly adhered to or applicants risk disqualification.
Deadline for Submissions: March 1, 2023
- Work submitted for consideration may include the choreographer as a performer.
- Choreographers must be at least a freshman in high school and currently in training at a studio, conservatory, and/or arts high school. Students who are graduating in Spring 2023 are eligible to submit.
- The work may be a duet, trio or ensemble. Solos will also be accepted, but work with multiple dancers is encouraged.
- New work is strongly encouraged however it is not a requirement for the work to be a premiere. It may be a work you created for another purpose at an earlier time but the more recent the better.
- Dancers performing in the video submission should preferably be the dancers who will perform at the festival, however, this is not a requirement.
- The choreographer must provide their own dancers for the festival performance at their own expense. Travel costs for the choreographer and dancers are the responsibility of the choreographer.
- Every effort will be made to provide up to an hour of rehearsal time prior to the tech/dress rehearsal. However, this cannot be guaranteed. The piece should come fully rehearsed.
- All production costs associated with the festival performance in Santa Fe are assumed by NCDP except costuming and props. All expenses related to costuming and props are is the responsibility of the choreographer. Production costs are defined as theatre rental, technical staff, and marketing.
- Dancers must be at least 15 years of age. Any exception must be granted by the NCDP artistic director.
- If dancers who are casted and are ages 15 - 18 years of age, will be required to enroll in the NCDP festival choreographic intensive and workshops as full participants on July 31 - August 6.
Choreographers who submit work that is selected to be performed by your company, will be eligible for the following awards:
- $1,000 cash award for first place.
- Every choreographer finalist will receive a professional quality video of their work in performance on the festival stage.
- Each choreographer finalist will receive a set of digital images of their work.
WHAT THE ADJUNCTION PANEL IS LOOKING FOR
- Concept, clarity of purpose of the dance.
- Movement invention, exploration of movement to the purpose of the dance.
- Development of thematic material.
- Choreographic texture and individuality of creative voice.
- Video of the work – must be at least 3 minutes and no more than 5 minutes. May be a rehearsal filmed in the studio or of a performance on a concert stage. In either case, the work should be filmed in costume if possible. No videos from a competition event will be accepted. If the work is still in progress at the time of submission, please send a sample consisting of at least 3 minutes of the work.
- An artist statement of intent about the work. This may include concept description, intent of music selection, inspiration behind the work, etc. The statement may not be longer than one single-spaced page.
- A resume. Student dance resumes should include their training and education to date, any choreography credits, as well as awards or recognitions (if applicable).
- A $25 non-refundable submission fee. Waiver of the fee will be considered with a legitimate case for financial hardship.
- Deadline for submissions is March 1, 2023.
- All applicants will receive an email regarding decisions no later than April 15.
- Signed ’Commitment to Perform’ agreements and a non-refundable deposit of $100 for those selected.
- If work is selected and includes dancers ages 15 -18, all dancers in this age bracket must be enrolled for the NCDP festival intensive by June 15.
Intellectual Property and Copyright Requirements
- All submitted work must be wholly original and may not infringe upon the copyright or other intellectual property or other legal or moral rights of any other person or entity.
- Applicants are responsible for obtaining and securing any and all rights, licenses, consent, and permissions, if applicable, from third parties in relation to any copyrighted material that is not your own (e.g., music used in your performance).
- If you are submitting a work and you are not the choreographer, you must obtain written permission and submit to the NCDP artistic director.
- This will be required as part of the confirmation process if the work is selected for the festival.
- If your work has been submitted to other competitions, you are responsible for getting permission to submit to NCDP if this is applicable.
Please complete the submission form below. Please have all your materials ready before beginning the submission because you CANNOT save* your application in-process and come back to complete and submit.
*For your reference and planning we have provided a downloadable PDF with the Call for Choreography details listed on this website. Please note, this PDF does not take place of the online submission process and emailed and/or mailed submissions will not be received.
Please email us if you have any questions about your submission.